Link Unshortener 8.3
From: Jeff Johnson (jeffjohnsonunderpassapp.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 18:15:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hello mailing list subscribers.

Today I released Link Unshortener version 8.3 in the Mac App Store.

https://apps.apple.com/app/link-unshortener/id1506953658

This is a very minor update. Here's what's new:

1) Improved handling of meta http-equiv refresh redirects when the URL is
relative or quoted.

Most redirects handled by Link Unshortener are HTTP header status codes such as
301:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status/301

However, some redirects are caused by the page HTML:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/meta#attr-http-equiv

Link Unshortener has always handled these, but version 8.3 has better handling
for a few edge cases.

2) Added "utm_nooverride" to list of Known Trackers.

Link Unshortener has always stripped known tracking parameters from URLs, such
as "utm_source". Version 8.3 adds "utm_nooverride" to the list. This didn't
actually enable any tracking, because the value is always "utm_nooverride=1",
and I think the parameter is actually obsolete, but now Link Unshortener
removes it anyway.

According to this article, "The old version of Google Analytics (ga.js) had a
URL parameter called utm_nooverride... Sadly analytics.js did away with this
functionality."
https://metricmogul.co.uk/overriding-google-analytics-campaign-parameters-better-attribution/

Jeff

  • (no other messages in thread)